Friday, July 25, 2008

House Memories - Nyberg Road, Siren

"Hememd", a member of the Everyday Matters group took as a project to sketch the houses she used to live in. This sounded like a great idea, so I decided to do it myself.

When I was about five, my parents rented a house on Nyberg Road in Siren. It was a small house, heated by propane, and it was always cold and drafty. The main floor had a living room, a kitchen, a dining room and the only bathroom. Upstairs were four tiny bathrooms. The entire house was only 1200 sq feet.

I remember small things from this house...

  • Riding my bike with training wheels in the dirt driveway.
  • Taking a walk in the woods with my older brother and parents (my younger brother wasn't born yet).
  • Getting my hand burned on my Dad's cigarette one night when he picked me up.
  • Standing on a tree stump and singing "I Did It My Way" during a windy day.
  • Getting my tongue frozen to the metal handrail on the back steps one winter.
  • Jealously seeing my older brother go off to school in the fall while I stayed home.
During a recent trip through Siren, I decided to drive by the house and saw it was for sale. The house and 14 acres was going for $127,000. If it's still on the market, the listing can be seen here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you joined me in the "My Homes" series. I really enjoyed your comments and found that your house is still for sale. I'm writing an essay to go with each sketch and floor plan and that is bringing back many memories. I have several more locations and then will decide how to bind all of the sketches and writing for our Family archives.