Sunday, July 27, 2008

House Memories - Harmon Ave


We moved from Siren when I entered first grade. The house we moved into, on Harmon Ave., I guess will always be "home" for me, as it's the house I grew up in. It wasn't much larger than the Siren house initially, but my Dad kept expanding it. First he made the original garage into a family room, with a Ben Franklin wood-burning stove right in the middle. Then he refinished the basement, and finally added a master bedroom and work shop on the back.

Some memories from this house:

  • Hauling in wood all fall, winter and spring. We had a wood burning furnace as well as the Ben Franklin fireplace, and so we went through wood like nobody's business.
  • The chickens, rabbits and ducks we raised in the sheds every year.
  • The menagerie of cats we always had around, and Gomer, the family mutt.
  • The large garden, where my parents planted potatoes, corn and all sorts of green veggies.
  • The maple tree in the southeast corner of the lot, that I'd climb on nearly a daily basis.
  • The trails through the woods all around the house, that were tramped down by years of bike riding and running.
  • The neighborhood games of softball, football, soccer, kick the can, hide and seek, war, etc. There were about 10 kids on the street, in all grade school ages.

No comments: