Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Huffy Rangler - 1970s

When I was a kid, the coolest bike you could have was a Huffy. And if you had it tricked out with an extra tall sissy bar and big ape-hanger handle bars, so much the better.

Down the street from where we lived was a family of about 7 brothers. You knew that you could always ride down there for extra parts if you blew a tire or bent your handlebars doing an Evil Knievel trick.

One of the crowning moments of my childhood was claiming the block championship by popping a wheelie all the way from the corner of the block down to our house... a distance of maybe 500 feet? The trick was to start real slow, because you could only pedal faster and faster to keep the front wheel off the ground. By the time I got to our house, I couldn't pedal any faster... and it takes real skill to pop a wheelie, pedal so fast your feet are a blur and keep the bike on the road all at the same time.

My glory was short lived however. Soon after that feat, my coolness factor was dimmed when my little brother got a Huffy Thunder Road, along with one of those boxes you revved up on the handgrip. It growled like a Harley (or seemed so to us) every time you twisted it.

2 comments:

javier said...

wow I remember this bike, I was about 9 yrs old. I remember doing wheelee lifting up the front tire and the tire and rim falling off because I didn't put back the hooks on the forks to hold the rim to the forks. I biffed big time. Good ole memories,

cannibuskrazy said...

I have that bike sitting in my garage.. so cool.