Monday, June 30, 2008

2004 Kymco Cobra Cross 50cc

This is my 50cc Kymco Cobra Cross. Kymco is a Taiwanese scooter maker. It certainly doesn't have the reputation or magic of a Vespa, but it's a ball of fun anyway. It's kind of like driving a snowmobile over city streets in the summer time.

I drive this scooter to work whenever I can. Since it can't go more than about 45 mph, I take back streets. It takes about 1/2 hour. It is supposed to be restricted to go less than 35 mph, but the previous owner had the throttle/transmission "de-restricted".

Technically this is a moped and licensed as such. A "moped" is a scooter that has an engine size of 50ccs or less. In Minnesota anyway, you can legally park mopeds on most city sidewalks and bike racks. You cannot do the same (legally) with scooters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought one used and have been getting used to it. Top speed around 45 however got pushed across a bridge by a truck. I looked down in my panick at 60.

Anonymous said...

Kymco is from Taiwan, not Korea.

The 50cc definition of a moped and how the laws allow them to be ridden/parked depend on what state you're in. In Virginia (where I live) the laws are as you describe, but in other states things are different.

I bought a new Kymco Cobra Cross in 2004, and loved it until it was stolen from in front of my house in 2007. I loved it so much that I then bought a used 2004 that had only been ridden 200 km, and I still ride it to work every day that the roads aren't icy

TJ said...

Thanks for the corrections Dan.

I'd be super-ticked if someone stole my Kymco. Whenever I park it I lock it with a cable... but I suppose that still doesn't stop someone from coming in my garage and pushing it away, or doing the same in front of a store, etc.

Scooter thieves = vermin.

TJ